The OC is charged with the high-level planning and coordination of the activities of the IAU in the broad sphere of astronomy education and development. It is appointed at each IAU General Assembly, subject to the approval of the Executive Committee (IAU By-Laws 22). The OC has the following composition, members being drawn from all fields of activity (reappointments allowed)
– the present and past Presidents and the Vice-President(s) of Commission 46
– a member of the Executive Committee (EC), appointed by the EC
– the chairs of all active Program Groups
– other members of the Commission up to a total of 12.
The OC reports to the Commission and to the General Secretary (and from there as appropriate to the EC and the General Assembly) through the Commission President. The Commission President may delegate specific duties to the Commission Vice President(s). If the President of Commission 46 for any reason becomes unable to fulfill his/her duties in a timely manner, the Vice President(s) is(are) responsible for conducting the business of the OC.
Triennial nominations: At an appropriate time before each General Assembly, the Commission President (or designated Vice President), in consultation with the OC, shall prepare a slate of officers and members of the OC, and consultant members who will be willing to serve for the next term and present this list to the EC for appointment at the time of the General Assembly.
At the end of a three-year term, the President is normally succeeded by one of the Vice-Presidents. An individual may serve up to two consecutive terms as Vice-President. President and Vice-President(s) should be from different countries.
The business of the OC includes the items listed below as well as such others it may deem appropriate. It may conduct its business by correspondence, including electronic correspondence.
Under the responsibility of the Commission President or designated Vice-President, the OC will:
– Prepare an annual Plan of Action, with a five-year Forward Look, for approval by the EC
– Monitor the progress of ongoing activities and make appropriate adjustments if necessary. Termination of a budgeted activity will require prior approval by the GS
– Appoint the Working Groups for the individual activities
– Monitor the progress of ongoing activities and revise their budgets if necessary. Revisions amounting to more than 10% of the total budget assigned to the Commission will require prior approval by the GS
– Submit brief, informal quarterly reports to the GS (email acceptable) and a summary report to the GS before the annual EC meetings on the progress of its activities
– Prepare a summary report on its activities over the triennium for the Reports on Astronomy (Transactions A)
– Provide such reports and budgetary documentation as requested by the GS for the accounts of the IAU and as may be required by any external sponsors.